There are two strong and growing salt-related needs in the food processing market today: reducing the amount of sodium in a product and declaring sea salt on an ingredient list. It is possible to achieve both reduced sodium and sea salt positioning for individual products, but it often involves a certain amount of compromise. Depending on the product, available sodium-reduction solutions on the market may not provide the extent of sodium reduction desired, or, if using a flavor-based solution, may not contain sea salt as an ingredient.
Cargill Salt offers FlakeSelect® Potassium Chloride/Sea Salt as a solution. With one product, you can both reduce the sodium and declare sea salt on the ingredient list. You also get the benefit of added potassium content in your product; potassium is required to be declared on the Nutrition Facts Table of a food label per the FDA’s nutrition labeling regulations that goes into effect as early as June 20181. FlakeSelect® combines sea salt and potassium chloride into one crystal structure through a patent-pending compacting technology to increase their functionality.
FlakeSelect® Potassium Chloride/Sea Salt has:
- Greater surface area that contributes to better blendability, solubility, and adherence
- Particles that are homogeneous and low in bulk density
- Optimal granulation with four precise screen cuts to perform in a wide variety of food applications
- Agglomerated particles that offer even distribution of base components joined in a single crystal
- The potential to reduce sodium in a wide variety of food products and categories
Potassium Chloride is a go-to salt replacement for sodium reduction in processed foods. FlakeSelect® Potassium Chloride/Sea Salt can provide functionality that regular dry blends of granulated potassium chloride can’t. FlakeSelect® Potassium Chloride/Sea Salt is available in four particle sizes: Extra Coarse, Coarse, Fine and Flour.
*FlakeSelect® Potassium Chloride/Sea Salt contains 50% less sodium than a regular sea salt product.